Ozone (O3) consists of 3 oxygen atoms that form to produce a protective layer in Earth’s atmosphere by absorbing harmful Ultraviolet Rays to prevent them from entering the atmosphere. Ozone Therapy is beneficial for a variety of benefits. This article focuses on the Ozone Therapy benefits for the immune system. Ozone plays a crucial role in inactivating pathogens such as viruses, fungi, bacteria, and yeast to allow for natural immunity to operate more effectively because pathogens are more monitored and acted upon. O3 penetrates the bacterial cell envelope by oxidating the phospholipids within the envelope, thus leading to bacterial cell death.(1) Through this technique that Ozone Therapy induces to the bacteria, the wound healing process has been shown to drastically improve in not only the healing time but also the size of the actual wound by reducing bacterial cell growth in the wounds.(2)
Viral cell replication is targeted via oxidation to the capsid layer, which leads to the virus being excreted from the body. Healthy cells can become replaced to ensure a healthy immune system. At the same time, fungal life cycles are affected by the Ozone’s ability to inhibit certain phases of fungal growth. Ozone Therapy leads to a significant increase in oxygen transport to the Krebs cycle, an energy pathway required to generate ATP (energy). This oxidative energy process also leads to the production of antioxidants or free radical scavengers, such as glutathione peroxidase, superoxide dismutase, and catalase, that float around the body and reduce cellular oxidative stress and improve cell wall protection.1
Another great mechanism of immunity improvement that Ozone Therapy offers is the production of red blood cells and prostacyclin (vasodilator) to allow for improved nutrient uptake that the body can fuel off to generate a more robust, healthier immune response.(3) Vasodilation refers to the widening of the blood vessels and arteries. It ensures a healthy supply of blood transport throughout the body and to sites of tissues that require repair. These sites that need repair would benefit significantly from the nutrient supply, decreased inflammation, and white blood cells to optimise tissue repair and reduce the chances of obtaining infections.(4)
Ozone concentrations between 30 and 55 µg/cc have been shown to increase levels of interferon, tumour necrosis factor, and interleukin-2, which greatly benefit the immune system by activating a cascade of immune responses.1 Those mentioned above all play a role in the innate and adaptive immune responses that our bodies provide. The innate immune system is our first line of defence against any pathogens or contaminants that might be harmful to the body. In contrast, the adaptive immune response is the body’s immune system that stores memory based on specific pathogens that frequently occur. For instance, if the flu comes around yearly, our body needs to recognise the different strains of the flu virus to stand a better chance of eliminating it from the body.(5)
Ozone Therapy is very beneficial to immune functioning and pathogen removal. NuHuman Transformation Clinic6 offers an Ozone experience whereby you take in Ozone for short durations of time to enhance your immune system immensely.
- Elvis, A.M. and Ekta, J.S. (2011). Ozone therapy: A clinical review. Journal of Natural Science, Biology, and Medicine, [online] 2(1), pp.66–70. doi:10.4103/0976-9668.82319.
- Kadir, K., Syam, Y., Yusuf, S. and Zainuddin, M. (2020). Ozone Therapy on Reduction of Bacterial Colonies and Acceleration of Diabetic Foot Ulcer Healing. Home Healthcare Now, 38(4), pp.215–220. doi:10.1097/nhh.0000000000000889.
- “What Is Ozone Therapy?” Healthline, 12 Aug. 2020, Health Line. Accessed 9 May 2022.
- “Vasodilation: What It Is, Causes, and More.” Www.medicalnewstoday.com, 3 Jan. 2020, www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/327402?msclkid=9168fbdacf9f11eca89bcfc4b40d4b0e#medications. Accessed 9 May 2022.
- “White Blood Cells: Function, Ranges, Types, and More.” www.medicalnewstoday.com, 10 Jan. 2020, Medical News Today. Accessed 9 May 2022.
- Lose Weight with a Personal Trainer and Eating Plan! 15 Mar. 2022, www.nuhuman.co.za. Accessed 9 May 2022.